Warm weather is the perfect time to inspect your home to ensure it is in top shape.
HBA Remodelers recommend these tips:
- Inspect the roof—Check your roof for loose, warped or missing shingles and make sure the chimney flashing and skylight seals are intact.
- Clean and repair gutters—Clear winter storm debris from gutters and downspouts, and check that they are still securely attached to the house. Blocked or loose gutters can allow water into your home and damage trim.
Look for leaks—Common culprits for hard-to-find leaks are attics, crawl spaces and washing machine hoses. Inspect these areas, look under sinks for damage from frozen pipes and check your water heater for signs of corrosion.
- Clear exterior drains—Remove leaves from underground or exterior drains to clear the way for spring showers and prevent backups.
- Inspect siding—Look for and fix pieces that have come loose during winter storms.
- Check window and door seals—Examine the exterior caulking on door and window seals to ensure it remains watertight.
- homes for life
- Patch cracks—Patch cracks in concrete driveways, sidewalks and steps to keep water out and prevent further expansion.
- Paint the exterior—Painting or touching up paint on the exterior of your home not only makes it look better, but will also help protect the home from the elements.
- Inspect the HVAC—Hire a qualified technician to service your home’s HVAC system to make sure it is running properly, especially as air conditioning season is in full swing. Now is also the time to replace your HVAC filters.
- Check your home’s grading—Ensure the grading of your yard slopes away from your home’s foundation to keep excess moisture at bay.