In today’s fast-pace world of rapidly changing technology, where work is conducted from remote locations and face-to-face communication seems to have fallen by the wayside, it’s comforting to know some businesses still value the idea of relationship building, and the Home Builders Association of Greater Grand Rapids (HBAGGR) is one such organization. When you’re building or remodeling a home, you want a reputable builder who has good relationships with the vendors and suppliers.
Home Builders Association of Greater Grand Rapids (HBAGGR) suggests that home owners do their homework before having work done on a home. HBAGGR even provides a checklist to help consumers select a remodeler:
- Have you verified that the builder’s license is up to date and clear of complaints? Call the HBA and they can provide that information.
- Does the remodeler have a permanent business location and a good reputation with local banks and suppliers?
- How long have they been in the building business? It usually takes 3-5 years to establish a financially sound business. Will they be around after the construction is complete to service any warranties?
- Does the remodeler have sufficient workers compensation and general liability insurance? If not, you may be liable for any construction-related accidents on your premises.
- Will the remodeler provide you with names of previous customers? Ask previous customers if they would hire them again.
- Have you seen the remodeler’s work, both completed and in progress? Check for quality of workmanship and materials.
- Are you able to communicate well with the remodeler? Remember you will be in close contact with them throughout the construction process and afterward as you live in your new home.
- Will the remodeler provide you with a complete and clearly written contract? The contract will benefit both of you. Review it carefully.
- Be cautious of unusually low-priced bids. If the remodeler is unable to pay for the materials and labor as the project proceeds, this may indicate a potential problem.
For anything for your project – start with the HBA! We are Greater Grand Rapids’ one stop place for remodeling resources, advice, and ideas. With the HBA’s help, home owners can avoid mishaps from the beginning and throughout the process. The HBA wants consumers to know that we’re here as a free resource for them. Whatever home project consumers are looking to do, the HBA can help them find qualified professional to get the job done. Consumers can find the HBA’s membership list online, broken down into disciplines of business – from painting and plumbing to suppliers and landscapers and of course, remodelers.
While the HBA and its members strive for quality work and resources for consumers, everyone has heard stories of home repairs gone wrong…from the money lost to the poor quality of work. The HBA can help with that, too. When disagreements arise, the HBA has a formal process to assist both the consumer and member. The goal is that the issue becomes resolved as quickly and painlessly as possible. We have a system and resources in place to assist both parties. The HBA acts as liaison between both parties to make sure that any issues that arise are handled appropriately.
Most problems can be avoided altogether by something as simple as communicating and getting things in writing. The HBA likes to remind homeowners that it is always important to maintain the lines of communication. Make sure that your remodeler knows what you’re looking for in whatever project you’re doing and that it is documented properly. Discuss important items like budget and time to complete the project. If any changes arise in the original plan, make sure to let your remodeler know, and get it in writing. When you choose an HBA member, you’re their first priority!